Friday 8 April 2016


Book Review
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl 

This wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either.

Greg Gaines' senior year of high school is going good until his mom forces him to become friends with Rachel, his kind-of girlfriend from years ago who now has leukaemia. His life basically starts going downhill from there.

I wanted to like this book. People kept saying how they loved it and it was so great but I just didn't see  it. It's different and unique, I'll give it that, but i didn't feel anything for the characters (except maybe Earl) and the plot? Nothing happened. Basically. I would like to elaborate on this point but this is a spoiler free review. 

Greg, the main character annoyed me so much. He cared about himself and only himself and worried constantly what people thought of him. he got better towards the end, I guess, but I still won't be remembering him as one of my favourite fictional characters.
I can't say much about Rachel because we didn't get to know her at all. She was nice and a good friend, but thats all I can say about her. Maybe thats the point of this book? That we don't make an effort to know a lot about people until they're dying? I don't know
Earl was probably my favourite character. He was such a good friend and a good person despite all his anger. He also gives the best motivational speeches. I need him. What he said to Greg near the end was great. It kind of changed him for the better. Almost.

Anyway, though I didn't particularly love this book, it was still quick and light and made me laugh sometimes. If you're into that, don't let me put you off.


Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment